Ghostbusters is Still a Ghost of a Time

Ghostbusters is Still a Ghost of a Time

Garrett Wheeler, Opinions Editor

Halloween is here, so I decided to review a movie that would fit the season. Now, I know what you’re thinking. “Garrett, why aren’t you reviewing horror movie?” It’s because I don’t feel like it! Besides, this is a movie that I’ve been wanting to see for a long time, but never have until now. So the question is, does Ghostbusters still hold up today? Personally, I think it does.

Ghostbusters is a movie starring Bill Murray as Dr. Peter Venkman, Dan Aykroyd as Dr. Raymond Stantz, and Harold Ramis as Dr. Egon Spengler. These three parapsychology professors are kicked out of a university for hunting for ghosts. After this happens, they open up a business where they dispose of these paranormal beings. They call themselves… the Ghostbusters.

At the time this movie was released, there wasn’t anything like it. It set trends for science fiction movies of the future. And for that, I give lots of respect for this film. Ghostbusters has a great, original premise that still holds up today. It’s creative, clever, and well written. The script has a lot of witty moments that will leave you busting a gut.

The three leads give great performances. Bill Murray is pretty much the snark master. He makes having a sarcastic attitude look easy. Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis also do great jobs as their characters, but Bill Murray really stands out as the face of the movie.

The chemistry between these characters was well done. Their dialogue scenes are funny, well written, and just enjoyable to watch. It’s easy to tell these guys had a lot of fun with this movie, and it’s fun to watch them interact with each other and with the other characters that are introduced.

This is also something I want to point out. This movie is fun. This is one of those pictures that you can’t help but smile while watching. There’s lots of charm, lots of humor, and lots of good times to be had here. In that regard, this movie hasn’t aged at all.

Where it has aged, however, is its special effects. At the time, the visuals were pretty groundbreaking. Nowadays, they’re pretty mediocre. I’m not saying that this is a bad thing, not everything is going to hold up in the long, but that’s exactly why I’m commenting on this. It’s important to know what aspects of movies hold up in the future. The special effects still have lots of charm, though, and it’s great fun to watch these ghosts come to life and interact with the world. It adds to the fun, cheesy, campy nature of the whole film, which I just love.

My biggest complaint is that the movie runs about ten minutes too long. There were some parts here and there where the editor could’ve either shortened or completely cut out. Honestly, about an hour thirty-five to an hour forty would be perfect, but this movie is ten minutes shy of being two hours.

I also would’ve liked to see more of Dan’s and Harold’s characters more. Bill Murray’s character stands out most in my mind because he’s in the movie the most and his character is the most developed. I would’ve liked to have seen these characters in the movie and become more developed. That way, we can get more invested in who they are and give them more of a personality.

All in all, it’s easy to see why Ghostbusters is a classic. It’s funny, smart, and it’s got great characters. This is one of those movies that everyone should watch at least once. It’s an important film in every sense of the word.

I give this movie an 8 out of 10. Have an awesome Halloween.