Bixby Spa Goes for the Laid-Back Vibe

Amy Platner, right, with her daughter Xoë at Beautiful Aesthetics spa in downtown Bixby.

Hunter Guretzki, Reporter

When Amy Platner opened Beautiful Aesthetics spa in December, she wanted to make her business feel different from most because she believes that beauty affects your personality, clothes and mood.

Platner wanted her spa to be a calm and relaxing place for all who entered the downtown Bixby location. The small and peaceful town’s vibe fits in with the atmosphere of the spa.

As you enter the spa, you approach a set of stairs and wonder where they go as you stare up them. The atmosphere is tranquil as you hear the peaceful music while striding up the stairs and into the spa and its harmony. Platner is dedicated helping people get the best facial,skin and makeup needs as possible.

“I love the art of how we can transform ourselves, the way we can express our personality, thoughts, and feelings, through the use of the way we choose to wear our makeup, hair and clothes,” she says. “The way we can change day to day how we express ourselves.”  

Platner, born in Joplin, Missouri, moved to Oklahoma with her dad during an oil boom when she was 8. Growing up, Platner was always begged by her sisters to do their makeup. Platner took advantage of this and she told her sisters to deliver her five of their friends who she could charge, in order to do her sister’s hair and makeup for free.

Platner began work as a makeup artist and then as time went on she discovered a better understanding of proper nutrition and its effect on one’s well being. Once Platner grasped a better understanding of these ideals, she became a cosmetologist, specializing in skin techniques. This was not enough for Platner as she went back to school and became an esthetician.

“I never feel like I have a job,” she says while stressing that last word. “This is my passion…. It is what I am good at, and it makes me so happy.”

Having lived in Enid for a most of her life and all of her daughters, Xoë and Journé, Platner moved to Dallas. Platner loved Texas, but it just wasn’t Oklahoma, so they grew homesick and decided to move back around two years ago. They had family that lived in Bixby, along with Journé having made friends in the district, so Bixby seemed like the right place to settle down in.

Beautiful Aesthetics offers many services, such as brow waxing, special occasion hair and makeup, enzyme peels, chemical peels/resurfacing, sports medicine, full body waxing, lash extensions and airbrush tanning.