Helping the Silent

Back to Article
Back to Article

Helping the Silent

Breanne Luiskutty fosters dogs before they get adopted to permanent homes.

Lauren Luiskutty, Reporter

According to American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, more than 7.6 million companion animals enter shelters nationwide every year. Abandoned animals are found frequently, usually in an unhealthy state, but thankfully people volunteer and make it their job to find the animals loving and safe homes.

The Pet Adoption League is a no-kill animal rescue organization that cares for cats and dogs based in Tulsa. It meets from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. every Saturday at the PetSmart store at 10117 E. 71st St. in Tulsa.

Each animal gets its own foster caretaker, who takes the time to care and nurse the rescues back to health if needed, and then find them secure homes. Breanne Luiskutty, a 2012 Bixby High School graduate, has worked with the Pet Adoption League for a year and a half.

Luiskutty has spent everyday taking care of at least two dogs at a time while also studying, practicing and majoring in elementary education at Oral Roberts University. Luiskutty spends her time in classrooms regularly from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., then comes home to her rescues, which she must feed, bathe and find a permanent home.

Luiskutty says balancing everyday life and caring for the dogs becomes habit.

“Plus, I always get happy to see them after a long day,” she says. “It’s rewarding.”

Cheyenne Blackwood is another hard-working caretaker who works for the Pet Adoption League. Blackwood began volunteering for service hours for a sport she was in, but then fell in love with helping the animals and has now been working for eight years.

“I got super passionate about it because I knew I was doing some good in the world by connecting the animals with owners,” Blackwood says. “It’s helping both theanimal and the owner.”

Blackwood teaches preschool and is commissioned to design business-related cards. She says the key to managing her time is to always plan in advance. Blackwood usually only has one or two foster pets since she already has four dogs of her own.

Luiskutty and Blackwood both share the role of managing the Pet Adoption League’s  social media accounts, in which they continuously post about their animals and look for their potential owners.

You can find more information about the Pet Adoption League at www.pet-adopt.org and http://m.facebook.com/paltulsa/.