Your season is over — the cost of athletic injuries

Mallory Breeding, Reporter

It is an athletes job to spend their lives constantly pushing themselves to their limits.

Run faster. Jump higher.Move quicker. Get stronger. Be better.

Why? To be the best and have the satisfaction that you worked harder than your opponent. To win.

So much of an athlete’s life is focused on one common goal, that they transform their lives to be the best that they can be. There is one simple sentence that every athlete fears.

Your season is over.

These four simple words completely change an athlete’s life.

I grew up with a basketball in my hands. I started dribbling on the pavement in my back yard and since then, have constantly dreamed of competing at all levels. Basketball is something that my family and I became involved with just for fun; but little did I know that I would grow to be so passionate about this sport.

Playing basketball, I always knew the risk of injury was a possibility, as it is for anybody.  Never did I imagine that I would hear those four words. Never did I imagine that an injury would take so much of my high school career.

Ever since freshmen year I have had chronic knee dislocations. I spent hours completing physical therapy programs and working with the school trainers without a significant change. The doctor revealed to me that my knee cap was off centered, meaning I was a candidate for complete knee realignment surgery. This meant missing a great amount of school, ten weeks on crutches, and thirteen weeks in a full leg brace total. I would not be able to return to basketball until my senior year if I recovered fully.

I made the decision to undergo this surgery this year, my junior year. with high hopes of returning senior year.

The pain of the surgery was great, but the pain of watching my team play without me, and eventually play in the state championship game, was unbearable. However, never have I been more thrilled to watch my teammates, and some of my best friends be able to experience something as great as playing in a state championship game. The tension was high, the excitement unbearable, the crowd roaring as my team took the court.

Booker T. Washington High School was a well-known challenging opponent to defeat. Watching that game was such a bittersweet emotion as we fell to Booker T. in the final minutes of the game. Watching the reaction of my teammates was one of the hardest things I’ve had to do.

Tear by tear their hearts were broken as they came so close to our dream. This loss was difficult, but only motivated every single one of us to work that much harder.

Being injured as an athlete, one of two things can happen. Either the athlete will burn out and never look back at their dream, or they will grow deeper in their passion to accomplish their goal.

Going through this has only motivated me to be faster, stronger, and all together better. I look forward to the day I will be able to step foot on a basketball court without any hindrances. Going through this challenge was one of the best and worst things that has happened to me. This time of my life was incredibly frustrating and challenging, however it only motivated me to be the best that I can possibly be when I am able to return.

Through having to undergo major knee surgery I have learned one important thing: if you want something bad enough, and are willing to work for it, nothing can stand in your way. I have learned that the greatest passions come from overcoming obstacles. Most importantly I have learned that some things are simply worth fighting for.