Dress Code Prompts Varied Opinions from All Involved

Anna Hermes, Reporter

Due to warmer weather, recent events at the middle school and Ninth-Grade Center and the upcoming graduation, the dress code has become a major topic of discussion at Bixby High School.

The argument over what should be in the dress code and how it should be enforced has highlighted differences in opinions by everyone involved, be they students, administrator and teachers.

Many don’t know the purpose of the dress code. According to Melissa Provenzano, one of the high school’s assistant principals, the dress code is in place to “prepare students for the work world and the real world.” It shows students the expectations that employers will have for their employees.

When students violate the dress code, administrators ask them to change and fix the problem.

“We want to correct the problem quickly and get them back to class as quickly as possible,” says Provenzano, who stresses that students who break dress code can be seen as distractions.

Jason Byrd, a math teacher, says, “My personal feelings toward the dress code do not matter. It’s school board policy and, until they change it, we have to follow it.”

However, junior Alex Garrett says, “Pulling students out of class and embarrassing them is more distracting than the outfit that got them in trouble.”

Senior Joshua Neerman adds, “It’s almost like they enjoy getting mad at students for stupid reasons.”

Even though a majority of students do not like the dress code, some students don’t mind it and even support it. Junior Taylor Robertson supports the dress code for the most part.

“Bixby is a 6A school and the dress code helps us look like it,” she says.

ROTC member Jadon Waffle adds says, “The dress code doesn’t affect many guys like me because we wear the same thing everyday.”

The dress code for graduation contributed to some of the dress code debate. Boys could wear nice pants, a nice shirt and nicer looking shoes. Girls had to wear nice dresses and and nice shoes. If girls wanted to wear dress pants or something other than a dress, they had to ask permission from principal Terry Adams. Many students argued that the dress code for graduation was somewhat archaic.

Provenzano says, “The graduation is a traditional ceremony and all of the students who have asked permission to wear pants have not been turned away.”

Faculty member Susan Krebsbach says the graduation requirements for girls “is discriminatory. The fact that [girls] have to come in and ask permission is not fair.”

The argument many students make is that they should not have to ask permission to wear what they feel more comfortable in. Even though Bixby is smaller than Broken Arrow High, we have 1,800 students, some who are transgender. They might more like themselves if they were able to express themselves how they wanted.

Senior Miki Riley says, “We’re wearing a giant blue robe over our clothes, so why does it matter what we wear?”

Senior Baylee Whetsel adds: “Because we’re a public school, we have the right to express ourselves whether that be through how we dress or what extracurricular activities we’re involved in. That’s what makes us individuals.”

As for the age-old objections to dress codes by students, Krebsbach, who has taught for more than two decades, says, “All generations feel this way, but I feel some things should stay with tradition.”