Bixby Views Varied on Dealing with Gun Violence

Flowers line the entrance to the Las Vegas Strip after the massacre of 58 people last month. Nearly 500 people were injured in the shooting spree.

Logan Morton, Reporter

Gun violence is a substantial problem in society and resulted in last month’s mass shooting in Las Vegas that left 58 dead and almost 500 injured.

Bixby residents have mixed feelings about what should be done to stem the bloodshed. On average, 93 deaths nationwide occur daily from gun violence, according to EveryTown Research.

Michael Polito, a Bixby High School junior, says “guns are like drugs; they can’t be prevented no matter what.”

However, he adds there should me more legal restrictions when buying guns and people should have only pistols, game rifles and shotguns for hunting and protection, not high-powered, semi-automatic assault weapons.

Cayman Simpson, also a BHS junior, is on the fence. She says gun deaths could be prevented but not sure how.

“I don’t like guns and never really have, but in some cases they are great for protecting lives of people themselves and others,” she says.

Cale Breneman, a 43-year-old Bixby resident, says the mass shooting in Las Vegas could’ve been prevented had people been more cautious.

“Police could have saved everyone’s life had they just made a conscientious decision to check every building in the premises of the concert,” he says.

But Addison Girard, Junior at Bixby High School, says: “If people had more guns, people could’ve defended themselves during the shooting. We need more guns and more gun rights.”