Bell Schedule, Old Corporal Punishment Rule Addressed

Bixby's school board takes up the issue of flopping elementary and secondary schedules.

Rachel Belous, Reporter

The Bixby school board suggested changes to the bell schedule and removed an outdated corporal punishment rule at a meeting last week.

The board presented a proposal at the Jan. 17 meeting to begin secondary schools (grades 7-12) at 8:45 a.m. and end at 3:52 p.m. with seven periods. For years, the schedule has been 7:30 a.m.-3:37 p.m. with a flexible six periods. The proposal also shifts elementary schools from an 8:40 a.m.-3:45 p.m. schedule to one that runs 7:40 a.m.-2:45 p.m.

The Bixby school district’s website is open for comments on the proposal under the “See All News” tab. The comment period will close Jan. 31, then re-open for a second round of comments in February.

“Many people believe we have already made up our minds, but we have not,” said superintendent Rob Miller, adding that “these schedules may better fit teens’ sleep schedules.”

Members of the board had concerns that there might not be enough electives for a seventh hour.

As for the revocation of the corporal punishment policy on the books since the 1950s, Miller said, “It was never enforced.” The school board unanimously changed the policy to read, “Bixby schools do not use corporal punishment.”    

In other action, the board:

• Approved a memorandum with Northeastern State University to allow NSU instructors to teach classes at Bixby High School;
  • Reviewed an audit showing that on occasion parent volunteers and teachers have incorrectly filled out receipts for school sponsorships;
  • Indicated that, despite delays, construction on the new West Elementary School will get done on schedule by August 2020.
  • Heard Miller state that new attendance zones are likely because of Bixby’s growing population.