Positive Bixby Takes on Midwest City in Football Semifinals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Quarterback Staton King helped to lead Bixby past Stillwater in the first round of the playoffs.

Shipman Photography

Shipman Photography

Shipman Photography

Paden Campbell, Reporter

With four regular-season losses, Bixby’s chances of going far in the playoffs seemed like a goal that would be hard to reach, but after last week’s rout of Stillwater, the chances of going to next week’s championship game seem to better than many would have thought.

However, the Spartans first have to get past Midwest City at 1 p.m. Saturday in a semifinal game at Central State University in Edmond. Bixby coach Loren Montgomery says the Spartans, with seven victories on the season, are “peaking at just the right time” and are ready to face the highly ranked Bombers.

Montgomery’s optimism in the team has trickled down to the players.

Quarterback Staton King says, “I think that we have a good shot this weekend; the team as a whole has definitely shown some change this playoff season.”

Star linebacker Coby Tillman adds: “I feel like the game against Stillwater has boosted our energy. It would be really cool to win state every year that I’ve been in high school.”

With a 7-0 district record, the Bombers will give it their all this weekend. Ranked at fourth in Class 6A-II and being nationally ranked, too, Midwest City will present a significant hurdle in Bixby’s drive for another state championship.