One More Step

Bixby faces Booker T. Washington on Friday night for the Class 6A-II football championship

Back to Article
Back to Article

One More Step

Cade Cavender celebrates a touchdown against Stillwater in the first round of the playoffs.

Gregg Shipman

Gregg Shipman

Gregg Shipman

Paden Campbell, Reporter

Well, it is another year, and another championship game.

Bixby has stepped up its game this playoff season by squeezing past Midwest City, 14-12, two weeks ago to set up Friday night’s Class 6A-II final against Tulsa County rival Booker T. Washington.

The 7 p.m. game at Jenks High School is a toss-up, especially since Bixby has won the past three 6A-II titles while Washington has returned to its glory days of the past. BTW is ranked 227th in the nation and Bixby 625th.

Bixby coach Loren Montgomery should have his Spartans ready against the Hornets.

“Our guys have really been good in the playoffs; we have good intensity in practice and in games,” he says. “Anytime you can go play for a state championship, it’s special.”

BTW shut out the Spartans, 21-0, in an October game that secured the district title for the Hornets. However, Bixby has rebounded from a 6-4 regular season to play some of its best football of the season in the playoffs.

“We were hyped up, but we were controlled and disciplined. We were ready to play,” says talented senior middle linebacker Coby Tillman, who led the impressive defensive effort against Midwest City. “They’re a great offense and they came out hitting but we just gave it back to them. We said going into the game that we weren’t going to get run on. I’m proud of my teammates.”

Tillman, who was credited with eight tackles and consistently pressured Bomber quarterback Preston Colbert.

“I feel our defense played as a team,” Tillman says. “We were doing our job, every guy on the field was performing. We should have been playing like this the whole season but we do kick it up during the playoffs.”