Looking Fishy: Bixby Offers Numerous Places to Drown a Worm

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fishing isn't all about catching. Just communing with nature is reason for many anglers to head to a pond.

Jake Wright, Reporter

Outdoor activities are immensely popular in Bixby, especially when it involves fishing. Those early morning casts, midday catches and late-night returns to home satisfy many an angler proud of their catch of the day.

With permission from property owners or people in charge of the ponds, many spots in or near Bixby are available for fishing without dime coming out of your pocket, like you would need for fishing our state’s lakes. Bixby High sophomore Evan Darnell enjoys two ponds next to the Evergreen Baptist Church off East 111th Street near Mingo Road. Another area is a mile south at East 121st Street. He prefers the neighborhood pond because residents keep the pond stocked and clean. Both ponds provide an array of fish species attracted to the right lure, plug or jig.  

The Arkansas River, which requires having a fishing license, has plenty of catfish, especially along the banks. The river runs through Bixby and is a natural resource that few cities have. There are a few easy access spots to the river from either side of the Spartan Bridge. Another good location is an area with some oxbows know by locals as the Lagoons, near the Bixby Youth Sports complex at East 151s Street and Mingo Road.

Another great place is Lake Bixhoma, 8 miles southeast of Bixby. A boat with a trolling motor will get you into areas along steep ledges. This is the only area in Bixby large enough to support a small fleet of fishing boats. Bixhoma’s deep waters provide a great habitat for largemouth bass, sunfish, channel catfish, bluegills and crappie. All this provides a great atmosphere for recreation with friends, family or just people to fish with.

Most go out to fish to have a great time with friends. Friends are also made along the way with fishermen talking with each other and asking what types of lures the fish are biting on that time of day. Yet some just want to be alone and have their own type of meditation with nature surrounding them.

“To get a great experience, go when the sun is just rising, the light just peeping above the horizon when all the fish are hungry and want a bite to eat,” says Kyle Bass,  one of the sophomore class’s most highly regarded fishermen at Bixby High.

Anytime he can get a cast in, Kyle will usually be out at a pond spending fishing for the day. That’s what makes fishing a good getaway from reality because once you go off the grid for the day, no one can bother you, except for a person you might have brought along who just won’t accept the surrounding peace and quiet.