Students Create GSA at Bixby High

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students Create GSA at Bixby High

Members of the newly created Gay Straight Alliance celebrate at their first formal meeting. On the front row (left to right) are  Hanna Doudican, Anna Johns and Neil Woods; on the back row are Kylie Parker, Gabby Wagner, Savannah Price and Vaishvi Diwanji.

Members of the newly created Gay Straight Alliance celebrate at their first formal meeting. On the front row (left to right) are Hanna Doudican, Anna Johns and Neil Woods; on the back row are Kylie Parker, Gabby Wagner, Savannah Price and Vaishvi Diwanji.

Vaishvi Diwanji, Reporter

A new club about safety, support and education has become official at Bixby High School.

Juniors Savannah Price, Anna Johns, Hanna Doudican and Kylie Parker are responsible for creating the Gay Straight Alliance. The students had their first formal meeting Monday.

People are sometimes harassed, harmed and ridiculed for traits they are unable to change about themselves and science confirms that the amount of testosterone and estrogen affect sexuality and that sexuality is not a choice.

Because of this research and for myriad reasons, the Gay Straight Alliance at Bixby High provides a safe environment for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual and Queer community (LGBTQ+).

Many students at Bixby High are part of the LGBTQ+ community, so the GSA is for those students who need a place to feel accepted.

During meetings, members discuss any LGBTQ+ issue. They have a support group so people can talk about how they have been discriminated against and how they can fix these problems.

“The first step of stopping homophobia and transphobia is to call these people out,” Price says.

The group plans to raise funds for the Trevor Project, a nonprofit organization focused on preventing suicide among LGBTQ+ teens, and other LGBTQ+ charities.

Some religious people have an either-or mindset when it comes to supporting LGBTQ+ rights. Some see that they can still be religious and support the gay community, while others are unable to support both the community and be religious.

“Christianity and homosexuality can go hand in hand,” Parker says.

Because of a sometimes hostile sociopolitical atmosphere, many queer people fear that they may be attacked because of their sexuality. People may not realize that just because the LGBTQ+ population is not in the majority, it does not make it wrong to be queer.

“It is a moral obligation to extend some sort of helping hand to those who are suffering,” Johns says.

In the end, the group wants to establish wider acceptance of queer people and to educate people so they stop uttering homophobic slurs and ostracizing LGBTQ+ teens.