Seventh Grade Freaks

Chloe Haroldson brings her many personalities to stage.

Sydney McCollum

Chloe+Haroldson+brings+to+life+the+qualities%2C+sufferings+and+anxieties+of+middle+schoolers+during+her+humorous+performance.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Seventh Grade Freaks

Chloe Haroldson brings to life the qualities, sufferings and anxieties of middle schoolers during her humorous performance.

Chloe Haroldson performs her national qualifying humorous interpretation (HI), “7th Grade Freaks” by Melanie Ann Case.

The premise consists of middle school student that are charged with using their knowledge and imagination to create a short play that dramatizes what they would do if they had the opportunity to help the world become a better place, five 7th grade girls, each uniquely individual, must come up with the play in thirty minutes.

Bixby High School students hit the mark at the Oklahoma East District Tournament for the National Speech and Debate Association. Oklahoma East District is one of the most competitive districts in the nation, and has produced more national champions in the last three years than any other single district. Schools are only allowed to bring their top four competitors in every event, and only three students from the district qualify in any event to Nationals. It is by definition a tournament for just the Best of the Best.

After nearly 16 rounds of very tough competition on two very long days (the tournament is usually a three day tournament and was condensed to two because of the snow), Bixby had four qualifying students for the summer’s national tournament in Dallas.

Chloe Haroldson and Mariah Mitchell qualified with Humorous Interpretation. This is the first time Bixby has ever qualified two people in the same event.

Brook Becker qualified for Original Oratory. This is Brook’s second year to attend nationals. Last year he competed Congressional Debate.

Nicole Floistad qualified for Dramatic Interpretation.  As a freshman, Nicole was the youngest person to ever qualify for nationals from Bixby. Now, as a junior, she is the only person from Bixby to ever attend three years in a row, and the first person in the Oklahoma East district to attend three years in a row in the same event.

Bixby also produced two first alternates to nationals who have a good chance to be ‘called up’ to attend: Davis Simpson in Dramatic Interpretation and Jessica Cadieux and Kelsey Johnson as a duet in Duo Interpretation. Brook Becker was the first alternate in Lincoln-Douglas Debate, but since he is going to nationals in Original Oratory he had to give up the spot.

About the Videographer
Sydney McCollum, SPN-TV Reporter

Sydney is currently a graduate from Bixby high school and worked on the SPN crew as a camera operator/ editor and director. She plans on going into...