Cassidy’s Top Five Songs of the Week 10/26/15

Mac DeMarco for Pigeons & Planes

Mac DeMarco for Pigeons & Planes

Cassidy Reed, SPN Junior Editor-In-Chief

Welcome to a new column dedicated to my weekly top five favorite songs. Hopefully you’ll find something that tickles your fancy and/or tickles your earholes. Either way, I’m just sharing content I find to be quality; there will be anything from new releases to old classics. Happy listening!

imgres “Just to Put Me Down– by Canadian singer-songwriter, instrumentalist and producer, Mac DeMarco. His sound has an effortless, almost languid flow. “Somber funk” would best describe it; DeMarco describes the genre as “jizz jazz“. It seems he is infatuated, indifferent, and inconsolable all the same. His undemanding, sleepy, and full voice, paired with lyrics progressively maturing, and sleazily loafing instrumentals, makes for quite the indulgent reverie. DeMarco is a goofball, and that dopey, wacky presence is what makes him such a refreshment (being musically talented doesn’t hurt either). DeMarco’s latest studio album, Another One, is like poetry written during an early morning hangover, but in its final, sleepily perfect form.

imgres-2 “Be Good– by Alabama native and former member of band P.S. Eliot, Katie Crutchfield. Her first solo album, American Weekend, was released under the byname WaxahatcheeAmerican Weekend is a low-fi indie and very raw album, to say the least. Crutchfield recorded the album while taking cover from a storm in the Crutchfield family’s home near the moniker’s namesake creek, Waxahatchee Creek. The album is reminiscent of Kathleen Hanna’s Julie Ruin, in that Crutchfield and Hanna are both just girls unraveling in their rooms and recording the sound of their guts falling out of their bellies. Crutchfield’s lyrics give us candid, relatable, and morbid explanations of being an American youth, and they are accompanied by a crude, acoustic guitar. Crutchfield’s latest albums, Cerulean Salt and Ivy Tripp, both steadily stray away from the sound of their precedent, but there are no serious complaints here; Crutchfield has grown in an admirable way, as any artist should.

imgres-3 “Mysterons– by English band, featuring Geoff Barrow, Beth Gibbons, and Adrian Utley, Portishead. Their debut album, Dummy, was categorized as trip-hop and was a critically acclaimed guilty pleasure of the 90’s. Listening to Dummy is the glamorous gloom of sitting in an overstuffed leather chair, in a strobe-light lit room, with sunglasses on, as you meditate on the existence of aliens and the question of God.

imgres-4 “Space Song-by Baltimore’s dream-pop duo, Beach House, composed of Victoria Legrand and Alex Scally. Their most current album, Depression Cherry, is completely exaggerated romanticism of all walks of life, and it is a beautifully soft sucker punch to the face; it is getting slapped by velvet fingers. The entire album is a paradox, much like the band itself. The sweet vocals and croon of synths sing you to sleep, while the lo-fi fuzz and feedback of the guitars excite you back to reality, as a result, the cycle of the two extremes is perpetual, exhausting, and wonderful.

imgres-5 “Inside Out– by Austin, Texas originating quintet, Spoon. Spoon consists of vocalist and guitarist Britt Daniel, drummer Jim Eno, keyboardist and guitarist Eric Harvey, bassist, guitarist, and keyboardist Rob Pope, and keyboardist and guitarist Alex Fischel. Their sound falls somewhere between post-punk and art pop. Daniel possesses the appropriate punk attitude to deliver the hard-hitting lyrics, but it’s exercised with just the right amount of reserve, in a he-could-lose-it-any-minute-but-hasn’t-yet manner. They Want My Soul, the band’s latest album, has the cool grit of Daniel and classic pop elements from the band, such as charming backing vocals, precise, tight drumming, and the ever-present droning synths, while the guitar hits anywhere from garage rock to R&B. Spoon is one fun, Austin weird group.

Featured Album: Another One– by Mac DeMarco

imgres

About the Writer

I , as a journalist, adore writing. I love picking out details and pointing out things most people might not feel the need to highlight. I have an affinity...