Spartan Choristers Shine in Competitions

Back to Article
Back to Article

These singers gained recognition at the Oklahoma Music Educators Association all-state competition: Becky Walters, Azlee Decatur, Callie Crone, Hanna Doudican, Ragan Fletcher, Margo Mironava and Samantha Shay.

Lindsey Fulbright, Reporter

Bixby High school choir has great success in January competitions.

They attended the Oklahoma Choral Directors Association, (OCDA), on Thursday, January 12, 2017, competing in the All-state mixed honor choir. Bixby High School Choir also attended the Oklahoma Music Editors Association (OMEA), competing in All-State Honors choir. It was most definitely a great weekend to be a Spartan.

Dan Pasay, Austin Shay and Aidan Sudler were named three-year honor choir medalist at the Oklahoma Choral Directors contest, held in icy Oklahoma City on Jan. 12. Other members of the choir were Maddie Cooper, Paige Emerson, Sarah Knox and Sydney Roth.

These Bixby Spartans went to the Oklahoma Choral Directors Association contest in icy Oklahoma City: Dan Pasay, Austin Shay, Aidan Sudler Maddie Cooper, Paige Emerson, Sarah Knox and Sydney Roth.

Bixby also sent seven students to the All-State Honors Choir event run by the Oklahoma Music Educators Association. Becky Walters and Azlee Decatur made the mixed honor choir, while Callie Crone, Hanna Doudican, Ragan Fletcher, Margo Mironava and Samantha Shay made the women’s honor choir.

These seven were chosen from nearly 1,800 students who had auditioned statewide in a three-part audition process. Each of the 200 member choirs represented some of the finest high school singers in the state.

In addition to the OCDA and OMEA events, Bixby’s choristers were chosen by clinicians for their solos and ensembles. Ragan Fletcher was selected as the Soprano 1 soloist in one piece in the women’s chorus repertoire category. In the women’s Chorus selection category, Doudican and Fletcher were part of an ensemble in another piece.

About the Writer
Lindsey Fulbright, SPN Reporter

Hello, my name is Lindsey Fulbright and I am a junior this year. I have a major drive for reading and learning and a huge love for dance, piano, and traveling!...