Transfer Window Closes; Opportunities Open

Hugging Henrikh Mkhitaryan. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang celebrates his first goal with Arsenal.

Lawson Sumler, Reporter

The January transfer window is freshly closed and clubs are finally getting a grasp on what their final squads will look like. Big and small clubs alike made plenty of moves and the balance could shift all the way up to the season’s finish.

Starting with Arsenal, the Gunners made a massive deal, sending constant frontline presence Olivier Giroud to Chelsea on a loan and adding Borussia Dortmund striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. The Gabonese made an instant impact in his first appearance for the North London side by setting up two goals and scoring one as Arsenal flattened Everton, 5-1. The victory put Arsenal four points back of rivals Tottenham for sixth place in the league table. While the championship is all but locked up for Manchester City, watch for a re-energized Arsenal to make a push to the top four and a Champions League spot.

Moving to Manchester, United conquered Huddersfield Town, 2-0. The Red Devils are focused on achieving second place this year, per words from skipper Jose Mourinho. The Devils looked untouchable against Huddersfield. A freshly debuted Alexis Sanchez scored late to secure the lead for his new club and the fans loved every minute of it.

Man U had a letdown on the road, however, in losing 1-0 to Newcastle United on Sunday. Still, look out for a surge of energy to power through the Red Devils lineup for months to come.

Turning the focus back to London, there’s a developing story with defending champion Chelsea. The Blues lost, 4-1, to Watford, after allowing their opponents to score three goals past the 82nd minute mark. This has posed an interesting question to columnists: Is Antonio Conte’s job as manager in jeopardy? Last year is looking more and more like lightning in a bottle and the results this year have not been what Chelsea fans would hope for coming off of a title-winning season.

The notoriously temperamental Chelsea ownership should also be factored in as it has not been shy about firing world-class managers in the past. This could be the end of Conte’s run at Chelsea.

The British Premier League, while turbulent, has settled relatively now that the January transfer window has closed and is starting to have its effects. Money often talks and walks so it is likely that some of these big-name players could have widespread effects for years to come.